Keema (aka kheema or qeema) is traditionally a flavorful minced meat (beef or lamb) dish said to have originated in Persia but extremely popular in the Indian sub-continent. Watch this how-to video and try this great variation to the classic recipe using hard boiled eggs - a perfect protein packed delight for vegetarians who eat eggs.
Oil - 2 Tbsp
Bay Leaf - 1
Cinnamon Stick - 1 inch piece
Black Cardamom - 1
Green Cardamom - 2
Whole Cloves - 2
Onion - 1 large, finely chopped
Ginger - 2 tsp, minced
Garlic - 2 tsp, minced
Green Chilies - to taste, finely chopped
Turmeric Powder - 1/2 tsp
Red Chili Powder - to taste
Salt - to taste
Coriander Powder - 2 tsp
Cumin Powder - 1 tsp
Tomatoes - 2 large, pureed
Hard Boiled Eggs - 6, peeled and grated
Frozen Green Peas - 1/2 cup
Garam Masala - 1/2 tsp
Water - 1/2 cup or little more
Cilantro - finely chopped for garnishing
1. Heat Oil in a medium non-stick pan on medium heat.
2. Add Bay Leaf, Cinnamon Stick, Black Cardamom, Green Cardamom and Whole Cloves. Stir for 30 seconds.
3. Add Onions and a little salt, mix well, cover and cook for about 15 minutes stirring frequently.
4. Add Ginger and Garlic, mix well and cook uncovered for another 5 minutes until Onions turn brown and oil starts to separate from the mixture.
5. Add Green Chilies and Tomatoes, mix well, cover and cook for about 10 minutes. Be sure to stir a few times in between.
6. Remove cover and continue to cook until oil starts to separate from the mixture again.
7. Add Red Chili Powder, Turmeric Powder, Coriander Powder and Cumin Powder. Mix well.
8. Add grated hard boiled eggs, salt and a little water and mix well.
12. Add Green Peas (cooked in the microwave for 1 minute with a little water) and Garam Masala and cook for 2-3 mintues.
13. Garnish with fresh Cilantro.